Sunday, July 11, 2010

Facebook and Twitter

I don't know what everyone thinks about Facebook but I found a new reason to love it yesterday.  I reconnected with a BFF (can I use that term if I am over 40?) from when we were both working on our master's degrees in Educational Technology and Bible in Knoxville at Johnson Bible College.  Her daughter (then middle school aged) kept my elementary school aged kids during a two week intensive course.  Her daughter is now in college and my kids are middle school aged.  Anyway, we got to chatting on Facebook and worked out a visit for this coming week!  I am SO excited about seeing her again. 

A month ago, I reconnected IRL (in Real Life) with a friend from 1985.  We went on a missions trip to Israel with Teen Missions International together.  She lives in California but was traveling in this part of the country for work.  We met for lunch and really enjoyed talking and catching up.

Facebook has helped me connect with high school friends, college friends, former church friends, and current friends.  It has been great for sharing prayer requests (no, really, not gossip but real prayer requests, I promise), encouraging others, being encouraged, and staying in touch. 

Once I got past the playing games on it all day and posting my status every time I sneezed or blinked, it has been a blessing and a very good thing.

I am a latecomer to Twitter. I just got on Twitter in May.  I use Facebook for personal connections but I use Twitter for mostly professional connections.  I went to Memphis and visiting the technology coaches at Presbyterian Day School and found out how they use Twitter to get educational technology ideas and to connect with other technology educators and companies.  It is also good to get input from other educators when you ask for it.  It is like a really large pipeline of information, depending on how many people you "follow" or get posts from, but if you learn to scan it and not worry about what you might be missing, it is a great source of tips, links, ideas, and information.

Cindy Brock, from Presbyterian Day School, is one person I follow on Twitter and on her blog.  You can follow me on Twitter at the link to the right of the page. 

Happy Facebooking and Twittering!

No comments:

Post a Comment